Friday, February 23, 2018

Posthumous Careers

I was browsing through IMDb the other day when I saw a hyperlinked reference to Virgil, great Latin poet and author of the Aeneid. I followed the link and was surprised to find an IMDb page with several writing credits, including one for a movie currently in production.

It does make sense, I suppose, to give credit to writers of bygone eras when you're basing a movie or TV show on their work. Homer and Chaucer have healthy IMDb pages, each having inspired their fair share of films, but all the old writers I could think of are dwarfed by Shakespeare, who has 1342 writing credits, 49 soundtrack credits (all for lyrics, I believe), and 5 'miscellaneous crew' credits-- I'm not sure what happened there.

Sir Thomas Malory, I was impressed to see, was even nominated for a Hugo award for his work as a writer on the 1982 movie Excalibur. I don't think Shakespeare ever got nominated for a Hugo award, but the brilliant thing with the posthumous careers these writers carry on is that there's always the chance for more recognition in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment