Sunday, January 7, 2018

Waiting Time

A valuable part of my day-to-day life is waiting time, moments when my only job is to sit or stand quietly and wait for something to happen. In my mind, this is different from not working-- while I have a good amount of time to relax, I'm usually still doing something. Perhaps the possibility of doing something productive makes relaxing time different from waiting time. In any case, waiting time lets me unwind and refocus in a very satisfying way.

In the past few weeks, the only real waiting time I can remember is waiting at crosswalks and sitting in a movie theater before the movie starts. In the past, I have enjoyed waiting times on public transportation and in line at the grocery store, but since I moved to Charleston I haven't needed to use a bus and the checkout lines at all the stores I've been to are too efficient to get much waiting done. Even the last two medical appointments I've gone to have had me in and out of the waiting room as quick as you like.

I remain hopeful, however; new opportunities to wait are around every corner.

1 comment: