Sunday, July 6, 2014

Screenshot of the Day: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

The guard changes at midnight in Genericville.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an action RPG set in a standard fantasy world. It's a shame when 'standard' and 'fantasy' belong side by side, but that's the feeling I eventually got from this game. It does everything from being sent on a mission by a dying old man to having a humble village guarded by men in full armor. I usually still enjoy these 'standard' RPGs, but two things ultimately ended my run through Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. First of all, the art style didn't really click with me and, in my uninformed opinion, made the game feel a lot less exciting than it should have been. The chunky characters and cartoony villages made me feel like I was in a world where nothing was edgy or unique. Secondly, all enemies respawn. If I go out questing and kill a giant spider, that spider will be back in its place in a day or two. Kingdoms of Amalur isn't necessarily a bad game, but nothing about it convinced me that it was really worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment